Monday, June 21, 2010

I have recently been looking on the inter net for information about patch kits that are used for the repair of rubber and metal roofs. I have looked at over ten different kits from different suppliers and none of them have any primer tape activator in them. I can assure you that if you don't use a primer that your repair will only be tempery. I use to work in a research and development lab working with epdm and other single ply rubbers. I have conducted many test on using tape with primer and without primer. In every case the non primed tape failed over time. If you don't believe me go out and pull on the edge of a repair done without primer you will see that it peels up easily. The reason that most suppliers don't use primer is because primer is flammable and can't be shipped normal channels. So they simply say clean thoroughly and apply patch. There are only two companies that have solved this problem and have primer in their patch kits. One is Firestone Building Products that has a pond patch kit with primer, tape, roller, gloves and scrubber pad. The other is Rooftop which is a trade marked division of flatroofsolutions.com who has a multi surface patch kit with white rubber tape, primer , roller, gloves and scrubber pad.

2 comments:

  1. It is for the first time I have heard about patch kits. I would like to appreciate you for updating the message?
    Liquid Rubber Videos

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could you use a bicycle tube patch kit for small holes? It definitely has an adhesive, as well as sandpaper for scuffing the surface, and a wiping cloth to get off the dust. And it's crazy flammable, so I'm guessing it's like what you're talking about.

    (Someone walked on my rubber roof with a nail sticking out of their boot, and I have a bunch of tiny divots.)

    Also, is there some way to paint the rubber roofing to make it white or silver or more reflective & cooler, without weakening the rubber?

    ReplyDelete